Coon Rapids garage is damaged by fire

by Peter Bodley
Managing Editor

An early morning fire did considerable damage to a detached garage at a residence at 11935 Undercliff St. N.W., Coon Rapids, Dec. 28.

A neighbor called in the fire shortly after 4:15 a.m. and a first responding Coon Rapids Police officer saw flames coming from the exterior south wall of the garage and when he looked through a garage window, he saw flames inside, too.

The residents were evacuated from the home, which was not affected by the fire.

They moved vehicles parked on the driveway away from the fire, the Coon Rapids Police report states.

According to the Coon Rapids Fire Department run report, the garage is about 50 feet from the house.

As firefighters arrived, smoke was coming from the garage with burning around the main garage door, which was where the fire was attacked, the fire department run report states.

Once the fire was put out, firefighters advised homeowner Thomas Washburn that the rafters in the garage had significant damage.

The fire department run report estimates property damage at $50,000 and contents damage at $25,000.

According to the police report, when asked by the officer what might have caused the fire, Washburn immediately said the wood stove inside the garage.

The previous evening, there were embers in the wood stove, but no fire, Washburn told police.

Undercliff Street was closed while firefighters fought the blaze.

Peter Bodley is at peter.bodley@ecm-inc.com


Comments Closed

up arrow