by Jason Olson
Our weekly recap of area high school graduates leaving their mark on the college scene. Send us an email if you know of someone we’ve overlooked.
• Melissa Borstner, Bemidji State sophomore forward and St. Francis graduate, has 10 points, 13 rebounds, 10 assists and four steals in nine games through Dec. 19 for the 5-6 overall Beavers.
• Jimmy Johnson, Minnesota State University, Moorhead senior center and Andover graduate, has scored eight points and grabbed 13 rebounds in 11 games for the 10-0 Dragons through Jan. 2.
• William Giddings, Southwest Minnesota State University sophomore and Blaine graduate, has started nine of 11 games for the Mustangs through Jan. 2. He’s averaging 6.8 points and 3.1 rebounds while shooting .518 from the field and .824 from the free throw line.
• Shaun Jensen, St. Cloud State University junior guard and Spring Lake Park graduate, has started all 10 games for the Huskies this season, averaging 13.8 points per game, 3.0 rebounds per game on .490 shooting from the field with 51 assists and 11 steals.
• Jake Begin, Southwest Minnesota State University sophomore wrestler at 165 pounds and Anoka graduate, is off to a 9-4 record including a second-place finish at the Bison Open Nov. 12. He has three majors and one fall.
• Caitlynn Happke, Minnesota State University, Moorhead freshman forward and Coon Rapids graduate, has played four minutes in two games.
• Kara Hofschild, Northern State University freshman guard and Andover graduate, has played 15 minutes in four games this season for the Wolves, making four of nine shots from the field with two rebounds and one steal through Jan 2.
• Haylea Schmid, St. Cloud State University junior forward and St. Francis graduate, has four points (two goals) in 20 games for the Huskies and one power play goal.
• Alex Nelson, St. Cloud State University junior forward and Andover graduate, has six points (three goals) for the Huskies in 20 games this season. She scored both game-winners for the two-win St. Cloud State team, including a 4-1 win over Union Oct. 1 and a 2-1 win over Minnesota State University, Mankato, Dec. 10.
• Dylan Rodriguez, University of Minnesota, Duluth junior forward and Blaine graduate, has started seven times in 10 games for the 7-3 Bulldogs this season. His 5.3 points per game average is fourth best on the team and averages 2.7 rebounds per game. He has six steals, two blocks and is shooting 9-of-15 from the free throw line.
• Shamus O’Grady, St. Cloud State University red shirt junior wrestler and Coon Rapids graduate, is off to a 3-0 start at 174 pounds.