Huskies clipped by Anoka in OT to remain winless

by Sam Lefebvre
Sports Writer

Anoka (4-8) broke their four game losing streak in a dramatic 74-73 home win over Andover (0-10) Jan. 12.

Anoka's Tony Pederson, right, looks to pass while Connor Wilkie denies a passing lane. Photo by Sam Lefevbre

The two teams battled it out in a back and forth second half resulting in a thrilling overtime at 68-68.

Anoka senior guard Marcus Tyus grabbed a key offensive rebound off a missed free throw and scored to give the Tornadoes the 74-71 lead, thus paving the way to their 74-73 victory over the Huskies.

The match up between the two teams was close from the start with only a three-point advantage from Anoka going into the half, 36-33. Andover scored five three-pointers in the first half keeping them right on the heals of Anoka.

Early in the second half Huskies sophomore Connor Wilkie dropped two consecutive three pointers giving them a small lead over the Tornadoes. From that point on, the game resulted in a back and forth battle with neither team getting ahead by more than two baskets.

Anoka junior Malcolm Seals tied up the game with thirty seconds on the clock, scoring the last four points in regulation.

“We were down by four and we got a couple good defensive stops and made a couple crucial baskets there,” Anoka coach Paul Broberg said. “But we got to make sure we do that the whole game long, we just can’t wait till the last minutes.”

The first few minutes of the extra period again followed the back and fourth pattern of the second half. But Tyus broke that pattern with a big offensive rebound after Anoka’s missed free throw, putting them ahead 74-73 with 11 seconds left.

Andover freshman guard Jake McNallan made a layup with 1.4 seconds left closing their deficit by one. The Huskies called a time out in attempts to steal the ball for one more shot.

Huskies senior forward Devon Fellerman intercepted the ball from the Tornadoes and took one more shot from half court but was off the mark, resulting in a one point win by Anoka.

Tyus was the games top scorer putting up 38 points for the Tornadoes, 20 of which occurred in the first half. Broberg said Tyus started off the game very strong, but that other teammates provided significant help.

“Marcus [Tyus] absolutely he has to score for us and the other guys realize that he needs to score, but they also have to contribute their points also,” Broberg said.

Seals was the Tornadoes second leading scorer with 15 points. Together Seals and Tyus scored 53 of the teams 74 points.

For the Huskies, Fellerman dropped 22 points followed by McNallan with 17 points.

“We finally broke a four game losing streak,” Broberg said. “It was a nice victory. Andover is a really well coached team and they played hard.” [smooth=id:478]