Candle starts bamboo, table on fire

by Peter Bodley
Managing Editor

Damage was minimal when fire broke out in a Coon Rapids townhouse the evening of Jan. 13.

Coon Rapids firefighters responded to a structure fire call from 11123 Drake St. N.W., arrived in five minutes and found black smoke coming out of the garage from the service door.

But, according to the Coon Rapids Fire Department run report, on entering the townhouse, a firefighter was able to put out the fire with a water extinguisher using about a gallon of water.

Homeowner Janice Deneka was alerted to the fire by a smoke detector in the townhouse.

A candle burning in a ceramic holder surrounded by bamboo on a table started the bamboo and table on fire and a hooded sweatshirt draped on a chair next to the table also caught fire, the fire department report states.

The burned table, chair and what was left of the sweatshirt were removed and placed in the driveway, then the townhouse was ventilated.

Damage to property and contest was estimated at $2,400 by the fire department.

Peter Bodley is at peter.bodley@ecm-inc.com


Comments Closed

up arrow
No Thanks