• Alyssa Buchner, St. Catherine’s freshman basketball team member and Coon Rapids graduate, had nine points, five rebounds and one shot block in an 80-59 win over Carleton College Jan. 14. It was Buchner’s first start for the Wildcats. She has 16 points in five games this season with 11 rebounds and two steals.
• Jake Begin, Southwest Minnesota State Univesity sophomore 135-pound wrestler and Anoka graduate, was named Northern Sun (NSIC) Conference Wrestler of the Week for the week of Jan. 7-14. Begin went 5-0 last week with two pins, two major decisions and a decision.
• Zach Buchner, South Dakota State Univeristy fifth-year senior right guard and Coon Rapids graduate, completed his collegiate career by being named to the All-Missouri Valley Football Conference Honorable Mention Academic team. He made the squad with a 3.35 GPA as a pharmacy and chemistry major. Buchner played in all 11 games during the regular season making three starts. The Jackrabbits were 5-6 overall with a 4-4 conference mark to tie for fourth place.
• Brett Tester, College of St. Scholastica junior forward and Andover graduate, was named UMAC Basketball Athlete of the Week. He averaged 22.3 points and eight rebounds per game in three games last week including a career-high 30 points in a win over Northland Jan. 10. He had his third double-double of the season with 24 points and 10 rebounds in a win over Martin Luther College Jan. 14.
• Jeremy Hecker, College of St. Scholastica junior nordic skier, finished fifth overall in the first CCSA 1.5 km individual sprint which coincided with the Saints Hilltop Invitational at Mount Itasca Jan. 14-15. The 1.5 km sprint began with a time trial, in which he finished fifth in 3:24.5 and freshman teammate Joe Dubaby (Andover graduate) qualified eighth in 3:36.0.
Hecker won the semifinal heat in a dramatic three-way photo-finish. He won the race by throwing his foot in the final meters to win the race by two boot lengths to move on to the A final. Dubay finished fourth in the semifinal and moved on to the B final.
Hecker stayed with an Alaska Fairbanks skier at the front of the pack until he tried to make a move and briefly tangled with another skier. Hecker finished fifth on the day, while Dubay was fifth in the B final and in 11th place overall on the day.
• Chelsea Banken, University of Minneota Dance Team member and Blaine graduate was part of the Gophers national championship team that captured its third title in as many seasons.
Editor’s note: If you know someone that hasn’t made the College Note’s section send us an email here.