‘For the love of Sam’
Friends and neighbors to the number of thirty, gathered at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John F. Jackson, Monday night, and then in body walked over to the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Sam A. Parker on Jackson street making bold to enter uninvited and unannounced. They said they came to celebrate Mr. Parker’s birthday “for the love of Sam!” As soon as Mrs. P. could get a big tin can of popcorn out of her lap, and Mr. P. his calabash pipe out of his mouth, they accorded each a happy welcome, and bade their guests to make merry, which they did.
– 100 years ago, March 13, 1912
Fire starts on roof
Fire damaged the house occupied by Dr. Geo. H. Schlesselman at Fourth and Main, Saturday afternoon after two o’clock.
Curtis Miller of Cedar came by the house and saw smoke coming over the roof but supposed it was from the chimney. He did some shopping and on his way back saw fire coming out of the roof. Harry McGaffey had seen it just before and had gone to the Freeburg-Farrier garaged and telephoned the fire department.
– 75 years ago, March 10, 1937
No state opinion yet on hospital question
There was “no answers” as of Tuesday from the attorney general’s office concerning an opinion on the legality of the forthcoming Anoka hospital bond vote March 20.
An opinion, however, is expected to be handed down before that date. The legality of a referendum to authorize a million dollars in bonds for a municipally owned and operated hospital was challenged last month.
– 50 years ago, March 9, 1962
Fire damages Legion hall
Fire heavily damaged the St. Francis American Legion hall early Tuesday, causing an estimated $200,000 to $220,000 damage.
The blaze is believed to have been deliberately set, according to a source close to the investigation. Flammable liquids may have been thrown on the floor of the club at 3040 NW Bridge St.
The blaze was reported by a passing motorist about 4:45 a.m.
– 25 years ago, March 13, 1987
• Compiled by Kelly Johnson
Editor’s note: “Looking Back” is reprinted exactly as the items first appeared.