Kvidera named Golfer of Week
• The Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) announced April 18 that Augustana’s Emily Kvidera has been named Golfer of the Week.
Kvidera, a junior from Blaine, captured medalist honors at the Augustana Spring Invitational April 14-15, firing a four-over-par 148 to help the Vikings win the 12-team tournament.
Kvidera shot an even-par 72 in the April 15 final round to move from seventh place to first. She turned in a four-over 76 in the opening round April 14.
The tournament victory was the sixth this season for Augustana.
This is the third NSIC Golfer of the Week nod of Kvidera’s college career.
O’Donnell commits to Augustana
• Augustana College, Sioux Falls, S.D., head baseball coach Tim Huber announced the commitment of six student-athletes for the 2013 season, among them Andover High School senior Patrick O’Donnell.
A three-year letterwinner and starter, O’Donnell is a two-time all-conference selection. He also picked up all-section honors as a junior. O’Donnell is an outfielder.
“The centerfield spot is a position we have been working hard to fill, and Patrick fits the bill out there,” Huber said. “He also adds team speed we have been looking for and some potential pop in his bat to go with it.”
Parvi earns fourth letter with Luther swim/dive team
• Sean Parvi, a 2008 graduate of Anoka High School and the son of Dale and Pamela Parvi of Ramsey, earned his fourth letter as a member of the Luther College swimming and diving team. Parvi was presented this award at the team’s award banquet held April 15, at Peace Dining Center located on Luther’s Campus.
Gerads selected to All-MIAC
• Bethel University senior Chaz Gerads of Blaine is honored to be Bethel’s selection to the All-Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIAC) Sportsmanship Team. Members of the All-MIAC Sportsmanship Team are selected by their coaches and teammates as individuals who demonstrate ideals of positive sportsmanship both on and off the field of competition.
Holmes named NSIC Golfer of the Week
• For the third straight week, sophomore St. Cloud State University golfer Devin Holmes has been named the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) Golfer of the Week. Holmes, a graduate of Anoka High School, was the individual medalist and helped lead the Huskies to the team title at the St. John’s Invitational played at the Monticello Country Club on April 29. Holmes had an impressive seven under par in the 36-hole event, winning the event by four strokes.
Holmes is part of the Husky line-up that will compete in the NCAA Division II Central/West Super Regional, May 7-9 at The Wigwam Resort in Litchfield, Ariz. This will mark St. Cloud State’s ninth straight NCAA appearance.
Swanson, UW-Green Bay win Horizon League Championship
• Paul Swanson (2008 graduate of Blaine High School) and the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay men’s tennis team won the school’s first Horizon League Championship April 29, earning its first berth into the NCAA Tournament.
“It feels unbelievable,” Swanson said after the match. “This has been the dream since my freshman year, and after coming so close last year and not winning it, it just feels unbelievable. This was the ultimate goal all year, and the guys have worked so hard in practice for it every day.”