Deadline for entering the Coon Rapids Arts Commission photography contest is Friday, Sept. 14.
The contest, which is for amateurs, is open to all Coon Rapids residents and business people.
Photos can be color or black and white, but must be taken within the city limits of Coon Rapids in 2010 or later, according to Kris Linquist, deputy city clerk and staff liaison to the arts commission.
Photos will be judged by a panel on the basis of creativity, photographic quality and how the image best expresses its designated theme.
Photos should reflect one of the following themes – people, scenery, black and white, inspirational or animals, Linquist said.
“All seasons are encouraged,” Linquist said.
The contest is open to adults and children of all ages.
Winners will be chosen in three age categories – 18 years and older, 13-17 years of age and children under 12.
First-, second- and third-place prizes will be awarded in each age group.
For a complete list of rules and to download an application, visit the city of Coon Rapids website at www.coonrapidsmn.gov/Pdf/PhotoContest.pdf.
• Photographs should be no smaller than 3 1/2 by 5 inches and no larger than 8 by 10 inches and printed on photogenic paper.
• Photographs with obscene content will not be considered nor will photographs that depict cruelty toward animals or humans.
• Photographs must be previously unpublished. Photographs that have been published in any form prior to entry into the contest will be disqualified.
• Digital images must be accompanied with a high resolution print on photogenic paper and a CD (which can include all photographs being submitted) with the highest resolution possible – at minimum shot with a two megapixel camera at full resolution or 1,600 by 1,200 pixel or larger.
• Manipulation of digital images should be limited to the kinds of manipulation that can be done with traditional printing techniques, such as changing saturation and contrast, burning-in and dodging, eliminating dust spots, etc.
• Images in which content has been altered (elements eliminated, added, rearranged, etc.) will not be accepted.
• If there are identifiable people in the photograph and it was taken in a non-public space, it is the responsibility of the photographer to obtain permission to use the photograph.
• Camera model and film type (if applicable) should be included.
• E-mail submissions will be accepted.
• A complete official entry form must accompany each photograph submitted. Only entry forms with complete, accurate and legible information will be considered.
The Coon Rapids Arts Commission promotes local cultural events and activities, including concerts and art shows.
Peter Bodley is at firstname.lastname@example.org