Sprinkler douses fire at Coon Rapids apartment

A sprinkler doused a fire in the laundry room on the second floor of a Coon Rapids apartment complex Sept. 4.

“It’s what we call a sprinkler save,” said Fire Marshal Todd Williams.

According to the Coon Rapids Fire Department run report, firefighters responded to a fire alarm at The Meadows apartments at 1728 121st Ave. N.W., shortly after 1:30 p.m.

They arrived to find the sprinkler system had put out the fire and crews ventilated the laundry room and shut off the sprinkler.

A resident of the apartment building, who was a massage therapist, had washed and dried sheets that had massage oils on them, Williams said.

After the sheets had finished drying she put them in a laundry basket on top of the dryer, while other sheets were still drying, he said.

Spontaneous combustion from the heat of the dryer set the basket and sheets on fire, Williams said.

But the activated sprinkler prevented the fire from damaging the laundry room and spreading to other parts of the apartment building, according to Williams.

There was moderate smoke in the laundry room because the door was closed and water damage from the sprinkler, but the dryer was only singed.

Peter Bodley is at peter.bodley@ecm-inc.com

Comments Closed

up arrow