Fire in bedroom damages house

Fire damaged a Coon Rapids home the evening of Sept. 26.

Homeowner Kweku Abedu-Bentsi and another family member were alerted to the fire at their 280 107th Lane N.W. residence by a smoke detector shortly before 9 p.m. and they were able to escape unhurt.

Arriving police and firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the split-level home and fire in the front lower-level bedroom.

According to Fire Capt. Aaron Johnston, firefighters made entry into the bedroom and put out the fire, then used positive power ventilation to get rid of the smoke.

The fire started in the bedroom, the fire department run report states.

According to Fire Marshal Todd Williams, the cause of the fire was a malfunctional electrical cord that overheated.

Property and contents loss was estimated at more than $30,000.

Peter Bodley is at peter.bodley@ecm-inc.com


Comments Closed

up arrow