Andover approves assessments for two road projects

The Andover City Council Nov. 7 unanimously approved assessments for two neighborhood road reconstruction projects that took place this year.

The city of Andover has a policy in which it covers approximately 75 percent of the costs to reconstruct city streets while property owners who front the streets cover the remaining 25 percent.

The 24 property owners within the Johnson’s Oakmount Terrace and 147th Avenue project area each face a $4,566.79 assessment. The final project cost was $570,482, according to City Engineer and Public Works Director David Berkowitz.

The 14 property owners in the Ivywood Estates neighborhood will each pay a principal assessment of $3,822.08, according to Berkowitz. The total project cost in this case was $277,422.

Residents have until Dec. 7 to completely pay the assessment so they are charged no interest. If they choose to, the assessment will be added to their property taxes and they can take up to 10 years to pay off the assessment. The interest rate is 4.5 percent.

If they take all 10 years to make the payment, the annual charge would be $577.15 for the Johnson’s Oakmount Terrace-147th Avenue project and $483.03 per year for the Ivywood Estates residents.

Berkowitz said anybody can pay off the remaining balance of the assessment before the 10 years is up, but interest would be charged until the end of the calendar year in which the payment is made.

The council held a public hearing on each project Nov. 7. One resident who lives on Guarani Street asked for more time to pay off the assessment because of personal financial hardships. The council chose to give this resident up to 12 years to pay off the assessment. The interest rate would remain at 4.5 percent.

Mayor Mike Gamache asked what would happen if somebody else who was not at the public hearing called city hall later and asked for an extended period of time to pay the assessment.

“That’s the risk you run,” City Administrator Jim Dickinson said. The assessment rolls are final now that the council has approved them.

Joe Zbrowski raised concerns about having problems with the sod work that was done on his property when the grass was restored after the project. He questioned the installation work that was done because his lawn is uneven and bumpy. He said a city public works crew did some repair work around his driveway where the sod was really bad.

Berkowitz said there were some questions from residents about grass seeding. He said the city would respond in the spring in case the seeding does not grow grass at that point.

Eric Hagen is at eric.hagen@ecm-inc.com

up arrow