East Bethel man facing attempted murder charge

An East Bethel man has allegedly admitted to police that he went to an Anoka apartment with the intention of killing another man.

Adrian Dominique Bell
Adrian Dominique Bell

Adrian Dominique Bell, 24, 3091 212th Ave. N.E., was arraigned in Anoka County District Court Tuesday on felony attempted first-degree murder and first-degree assault charges. Bell is accused of shooting an Anoka man seven times.

The victim remains in critical condition after suffering multiple gunshot wounds to the face, arms and torso Saturday afternoon.

The Anoka Police Department was called to the 700 block of Southview Drive at 3:15 p.m. on a reported shooting. The victim was stabilized at Mercy Hospital and then transferred to Hennepin County Medical Center where he underwent emergency surgery.

According to the complaint, the woman who lived at the Anoka apartment said she was taking a nap in the back bedroom with her boyfriend when Bell came into the room, produced a gold handgun and started shooting at the man. She told police she was able to run out of the room, past Bell, but knew he had shot her boyfriend several times.

Two others who had been in the apartment at the time of the shooting told police they had been watching TV with Bell for several hours when he suddenly stood up and walked toward the back bedroom.

The witnesses heard several gunshots and then saw Bell walk out of the bedroom and leave the apartment while carrying a hand gun, according to the complaint.

Bell’s vehicle description and license plate were broadcast to law enforcement throughout the metro.

Two and a half hours after the shooting Bell’s vehicle was spotted by the Minneapolis Police Department on the 3500 block of Fourth Street North, according to the sheriff’s office.

During the stop police were approached by a woman who alleged that Bell had been to her home nearby and had asked to leave something there. According to the complaint, during a search of the attic of that residence police recovered a black and gold Highpoint 9 mm handgun.

In a post-Miranda interview, Bell allegedly told police he bought the handgun with the intent of killing the victim.

The complaint alleges that Bell said when he first arrived at the apartment, the victim was in the living room, but there was a baby present so he waited until the victim went into the back bedroom.

“I went back there to kill him,” Bell alleged in his statement.

At Bell’s arraignment, bail was set in the amount of $750,000. He has also been ordered to have no contact with the victim. His next court appearance is scheduled for Dec. 26.

Mandy Moran Froemming is at [email protected]

Comments Closed