• Kaitlyn Fritz (Anoka), Oklahoma Baptist University freshman member of the cross country team, placed 58th overall at the NAIA National Championships at the Fort Vancouver National Historic Site in Vancouver, Wash., Nov. 17. Fritz crossed the line in 19:08, while the team finished sixth among 32 teams. Fritz had an impressive first season with the Bison, finishing fifth overall (18:39) and earned All-Conference honors while the team won the Sooner Athletic Conference meet at the school’s Gordon Cooper Technology Center Nov. 3.
• Tori Raihle (Spring Lake Park), St. Cloud State sophomore diver, is off to a strong 2012-13 season. She won the season-opening event at the University of North Dakota with a final score of 277.25 in the three-meter diving event while placing third in the one-meter event with a score of 234.90 Oct. 12. She was third on the three-meter event, 203.90, at the SCSU Invite Oct. 20.
• Shaun Jensen (Spring Lake Park), senior guard on the St. Cloud State University men’s basketball team, is averaging 11.3 points per game, 5.3 rebounds per game, 7.3 assists per game and has a .933 free throw percentage through three games for the 3-0 Huskies. SCSU opened the season with a 62-49 exhibition loss in East Lansing, Mich., against No. 14-ranked Michigan State. Jensen had six points, three assists and one steal in 29 minutes of work.
• John Tellgren (Anoka), sophomore diver at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), was named Liberty Conference Co-Diver of the Week (week ending Dec. 2) after a win and second place at the conference diving championships over the weekend. He won the three-meter diving competition with a score of 553.60 and finished second on the one-meter competition with a score of 467.35 points.
• Zach Romashko (Blaine), sophomore forward with the Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks, played in 26 games and started 20 games last season while averaging 12.1 points per game, second best for the Mavericks and led all freshmen in the NSIC. He currently averages 11.3 points with a .630 field goal percentage in four games for the 4-0 Mavericks. He had a game high 19 points in a 100-42 win over Bethany Lutheran Nov. 10.
• Drew Germain (Blaine), sophomore diver at University of North Dakota, turned in a personal best one-meter diving score of 281.60 to place fifth at the Mizzou Invite Nov. 28-Dec. 1. He also placed fifth on the three-meter platform with a score of 272.30 points.
• Daniel Jacobson (Anoka), junior swimmer at the University of North Dakota, placed eighth in the 500-yard freestyle in 4:48.69 as the men finished runner-up at the TYR Invitational in Evanston, Ill., Nov. 16-18. Jacobson placed eighth in the 200 backstroke (1:58.85), 11th in the 50 free (21.60), 15th in the 100 fly (53.83), 14th in the 100 backstroke (54.51), 19th in the 50 fly (24.06) and led off UND’s fourth-place finish 200 medley relay team. He also swam the third leg of the 800 free relay which placed fifth.
• Minnesota State University, Mankato women’s hockey is 5-9-2 through the last week of November. Three area skaters are part of the Mavericks including
Lauren Zrust (Blaine), senior forward, who has four points (three assists);
Katie Johnson (Anoka), freshman forward, who has two shots on goal; and Dani Scholzen (Blaine), junior defenseman, who has three assists, 11 blocked shots and 14 penalty minutes.
• Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference fall All-Academic team must have a cumulative grade-point average above 3.2 and be a sophomore or older.
Men’s cross country: Minnesota Duluth junior Aaron Handorff (Andover), sophomore Dan Nielsen (Andover).
Women’s cross country: Bemidji State junior Mackenzie Haupert (Andover); Minnesota State Mankato junior Alyssa Wojack (Coon Rapids),
Football: Augustana senior Jason Engstrom (Coon Rapids); Bemidji State senior Brian Leonhardt (Blaine); Concordia University-St. Paul senior Zach Elliot (Ham Lake), sophomore James Peterson (Blaine); Minnesota Crookston senior Joe Stearly (Blaine); Minnesota Duluth senior Cameron Harper (Blaine); Minnesota State Mankato sophomore Kristopher Fleigle (Blaine); Northern State senior Rob Neisen (Coon Rapids).
Women’s soccer: Southwest Minnesota State sophomores Shayna Smith and Sonya Smith (Anoka); Blaine sophomore Kayla Stevenson (Blaine); Winona State sophomore Shauna Rodman (Anoka), junior Jennifer DeRoo (Anoka), sophomore Alaina Kne (St. Francis).
Volleyball: Minnesota State Mankato senior Kaylka Berning (Anoka).
• Heading into the first weekend of December, University of Minnesota women’s hockey team sophomore Rachel Bona (Coon Rapids) had a four-game point streak and 15 points in 16 games this season. She’s scored six goals, including once in each of the last three contests.
• North Dakota senior hockey forward Megan Gilbert (Andover) had two points through 14 games through the end of November. She scored the game winner in a 4-1 win over Mankato Oct. 6 and an assist in a 7-3 win at Bemidji Nov. 18.
• University of Minnesota Duluth freshman forward Cal Decowski (Andover) had one goal and one assist in eight games this season. Both points came in a 3-1 win at Notre Dame Oct. 18.
• University of Minnesota men’s hockey junior goalie Michael Shibrowski (Andover) played in two of the first three games of the season for the Gophers posting a 3.47 goals against average and a .875 saves percentage with a 1-1-0 record. He picked up the win in a 5-1 decision in the home and season opener against Michigan State Oct. 12 before taking a 5-3 loss at Michigan Tech Oct. 19. Junior forward and Blaine graduate Nick Bjugstad is off to quite a nice start in his junior season with the club with 11 points (seven goals) through the Nov. 24 win at Vermont. He opened the season with back-to-back game winners against Michigan State. He also had the assist on the lone Gophers goal in a 1-0 win against Canisius Oct. 28. He has a plus six rating and has 52 shots on goal.
• Gophers prospect and Blaine graduate Michael Brodzinski (defenseman) has 13 points in 19 games with the USHL’s Muskegon Lumberjacks. He picked up four points (three assists) in a 4-3 win at Indiana Nov. 16.
• North Dakota prospect and Des Moines Buccaneers forward Luke Voltin (Blaine) surpassed his 2011-12 points total of eight points with 11 points in 20 games so far this season, his second season with the USHL club. He has four points over the last five games, through Nov. 24.