Winners have been announced in the ninth annual Anoka-Hennepin School District 11 anti-bully poster contest.
This year’s theme was, “Be a Hero, Not a Bully!”
One winner at each grade level in each building was chosen by staff.
Those posters were sent to the Educational Services Center (ESC) where staff and community members voted for one winner per grade.
Barry Scanlan, the district prevention coordinator, spoke highly of this year’s contestants.
“I believe the quality of these posters speaks to the unique ability of art to address complex and crucial issues that face our community,” he said.
“Our district has a number of young, passionate and thoughtful artists who care about equity, fairness and bullying.”
The winners were recognized at the Dec. 10 school board meeting.
• Kindergarten – Sydney Green, Sand Creek Elementary School.
• Grade 1 – Ella Allen, Franklin Elementary School.
• Grade 2 – William Bodin, Crooked Lake Elementary School.
• Grade 3 – Saniya Khatoon, University Avenue Elementary School.
• Grade 4 – Te’a Lockwood, Johnsville Elementary School.
• Grade 5 – Isabelle Bodin, Crooked Lake Elementary School.
• Grade 6 – Leighton Tripp, Coon Rapids Middle School.
• Grade 7 – Louisa Nikolova, Jackson Middle School.
• Grade 8 – Tammy Pham, Jackson Middle School.
• Grade 9 – Gerrilyn Kujawa, Anoka High School.
• Grade 10 – Hannah Hacker, Anoka High School.
• Grade 11 – Alecia Slater, Anoka High School.
• Grade 12 – Abigail Pierce, Anoka High School.
Representatives from Horace Mann Insurance presented elementary school winners with a bike and secondary school winners with an iPod.