The second annual Coon Rapids Citizens Academy has been scheduled.
The seven-week course will take place Monday evenings March 4 through April 15 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
The academy gives participants an up-close behind the scenes look at how Coon Rapids city government operates.
Participants will tour the city’s police and fire departments, take a tour of the city’s cable television studio and public works facilities and learn about city budgets.
As well, there will be sessions on the community development and planning functions of city government.
The 2013 Citizens Academy will run one week less than the inaugural program this year. A trip to the Coon Rapids Ice Center has been eliminated.
The schedule for the 2013 Coon Rapids Citizens Academy is:
• Week one: Monday, March 4, introduction to city operations, Harvest Grill.
• Week two: Monday, March 11, understanding administrative area at Coon Rapids City Center council chambers.
• Week three: Monday, March 18, behind the scenes of public works, engineering and utilities/capital projects at public works garage.
• Week four: Monday, March 25, community development and planning at the Coon Rapids Civic Center.
• Week five: Monday, April 1, police and fire departments at Coon Rapids Police Department and Fire Station 1.
• Week six: Monday, April 8, city technology at Coon Rapids City Center council chambers and CTN Studios cable TV facility.
• Week seven: graduation celebration, Harvest Grill.
There will be a limit of 20 participants.
Information about applying will soon be posted in the city website as well as in the city newsletter.
Peter Bodley is at firstname.lastname@example.org