Writer’s Block: Enjoying a good adventure

I am such a kid.

Tammy SakryThere are times and situations I find myself asking a million questions (usually in my head) and not really caring about the answer.

On my birthday this year, I was on a plane heading for the West Coast thanks to the generosity of my aunt and her frequent flyer miles.

As the plane was getting set to take off from the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport, it had to be de-iced first.

I stretched from my aisle seat over the empty seat next to me to peer out past the gentleman in the window seat to get a better look at the process.

Immediately a million questions crowded into my mind:

I wonder what they use for the de-icer solution?

I wonder how long the solution is good for? Does it have to be redone if we stay on the ground too long?

Wonder what the safety procedures are? Are the techs all covered? (I couldn’t see the vehicle from my viewpoint).

The questions rumbled though my head only to be pushed out by the next one.

I really did not care about the answers (sorry Dan).

I don’t know if it was because I was on was a plane for the first time since 1997 or because I was heading out to an adventure that did not include anything medieval or science fiction fandom for the first time in years.

While I was excited about going on the trip to Medford, Ore., and later to Trinidad, Calif., I also had a lot of questions.

What do I do to get through security hassle-free? How do I pack with just a carry on? Would I be deemed too fat to fly?

The first two questions would be easy to find out by checking the airline’s website and Pinterest.

The last had to wait until I was on the plane. I wasn’t, but you hear the horror stories and you have to wonder.

Of course, I did find that once you go through security, you are not allowed to step back through, even when you forget to push your suitcase through the scanner. Oops.

I pushed my other three trays through, but forgot the last piece.

On the return flight home I did much better. And I got to go through the body scanner. I feel sorry for the person viewing the screen.

All of my flight crews were pleasant. Even the ones who insisted on putting my rather heavy backpack (filled with camera and computer equipment) in the above compartment. And then having to take it down again because I forgot to shut off my cellphone.

And there was comic relief on my first flight (I had two on the outbound trip and three on the homebound trip).

During his welcome speech, the pilot explained what was happening with the de-icing, how long it would be before we hit the runway and how long the flight would take to Seattle.

The pilot also announced that the de-icing crew would be putting an even better effort than their normally excellent job, because the cousin of one of the crew would be flying with us.

The woman was sitting on the other side of me and it was kind of fun to watch her expression of surprise and amusement as well as the nearby few passengers thank her for flying with us, once again with great humor attached.

I am still kicking myself for not taking out the camera while at the Seattle airport.

There were some cool going on there, like brass salmon in the floor and several fish huts as restaurants. Of course, it was about 12:30 a.m. our time when I got there and I still had to get to the right terminal and meet up with my aunt.

Ahh… hindsight.

There are so many things from the beginning of my trip I wish I had shot, but there so many things that I did.

It was a great vacation with a great aunt.