Coon Rapids trailer home left uninhabitable by Sunday fire

Fire left a Coon Rapids trailer home uninhabitable Sunday evening (Feb. 24).

Coon Rapids firefighters battle a fire at a mobile home Sunday evening. Photo courtesy of the Coon Rapids Fire Department

Coon Rapids firefighters battle a fire at a mobile home Sunday evening. Photo courtesy of the Coon Rapids Fire Department

Emergency personnel responded to a residence at 10345 Xeon St. N.W. in the Creekside Mobile Home Park shortly before 7 p.m. Feb. 24 after a neighbor driving by called 911 after seeing smoke coming from the roof.

According to the Coon Rapids Police report, the first arriving officer reported smoke coming not only from the roof, but also the sides of the home.

Neighbors told police that no one lived at the home on a permanent basis.

Arriving Coon Rapids firefighters found the doors locked and the windows secured and had to make entry by breaking a window, then forcing entry to both doors with a Halligan tool, according to the Coon Rapids fire department run report.

Firefighters contained the fire to the room of origin, the living room, but there was smoke damage throughout the mobile home which made it unlivable, said Fire Marshal Todd Williams.

Heavy amounts of storage and material made it difficult for firefighters to get at the fire, he said.

It is believed the fire started in the area of the entertainment center either from a mouse eating through an electrical cord or else the entertainment center reflecting light from the sunlight coming through the window that set some paper on fire, according to Williams.

The homeowners was contacted and she told Williams that no one had been at the residence for two weeks and that she lived primarily in Fridley to take care of her elderly mother.

“Fortunately, no one was hurt,” Williams said.

Peter Bodley is at peter.bodley@ecm-inc.com

Comments Closed

up arrow