Johnson dives to new heights
• St. Thomas junior diver Nick Johnson (Blaine) was named MIAC Men’s Diver of the Year. He scored the most points on the 1-meter (463.40 points) and 3-meter (448.20) events to earn the honor.
• John Tellgren (Anoka), a sophomore diver at Rochester Institute of Technology in New York was named Liberty League Diver of the Week for the fifth time this season, March 6. Tellgren qualified for the NCAA Championships in the three-meter competition by posting a highest score at the NCAA Division III regional diving qualifier at Ithaca College March 6. Tellgren scored a school record 590.25. He placed second in the one-meter qualifier, 2.95 points behind the champion but the top two move on to nationals.
Ekpo and Yseth highlight Tommies
• University of St. Thomas seniors Eyo Ekpo (Andover) and Gavin Yseth (St. Francis) each were honored for their indoor track and field performacnes at the March 1-2 MIAC Championships. The pair combined for four victories to help the Tommies win their 29th team title in a row. Ekpo was named Outstanding Men’s Field Athlete in the competition for the fourth year in a row. He swept the jumping events including the high jump (6-7), long jump (22-11 3/4) and triple jump (47-6 1/2) to repeat in each event. He now has 11 MIAC individual track titles. Ekpo went on to place sixth in the triple jump (48-4 3/4) at the DII national championships. Yseth was named Men’s Outstanding Performance as he repeated as heptathlon champion with a arena-record score of 4,797 points. He finished among the top four in each of the seven events including winning the 60-meter hurdles; second in shot put, high jump and 1,000-meter run; third in the 60-meter dash and fourth in the long jump and pole vault. Yseth went on to place 12th in the heptathlon at nationals with 4,605 points.
Gophers tracksters on pace
• Minnesota sophomore Blayne Dulian (Coon Rapids) and redshirt freshman Adam Zutz (St. Francis) each compiled top-10 times in the mile-run this indoor season. Dulian scored a season-best seventh place finiish at the Snowshoe Open Feb. 15 in 4:14.09 while Zutz scored an eighth-place finish in the same event in 4:15.89. Zutz also placed ninth at the Jack Johnson Classic, Jan. 18 in 4:18.22. He posted the fourth best time in the 3,000 meters this season with an eighth place finish at the Bill Bergan Invitational, Jan. 26 in 8:20.39 and followed with an 8:31.35 to place 23rd at the Big Ten Championships Feb. 23.
• Minnesota sophomore Nicole Murphey (Blaine) is off to a strong start in the outdoor track season. She won the long jump at the UNLV Invitational March 16, tying her 2013 best distance of 18-9 1/4. She scored a 12th-place finish at the Big Ten Indoor Championships Feb. 22. She won the MSU Open (Jan. 26) with a jump of 17-10 3/4 and was second at the Parents Day Open (Feb. 16) with a leap of 18-0 1/2.