Basket, grass, then rear of a Coon Rapids residence catch on fire

A grass fire damaged a Coon Rapids home the late afternoon of March 29.

The Coon Rapids Fire Department responded to a call of grass fire at 8933 East River Road shortly after 4:30 p.m., but on arrival, firefighters found the fire had climbed up the back of the house and into the attic.

According to the fire department run report, the resident had tossed snow on to the back of the house to knock down the external fire.

Firefighters put out the fire in the attic. It caused minor damage to the interior of the home, but a four-by-four section of the roof had to be removed, the run report states.

Fire Marshal Todd Williams said a man smoking outside an hour earlier had placed his cigarette butt in a wicker basket, which caught on fire and that spread to the grass, then the siding of the house.

Residents made arrangements to stay elsewhere overnight.

The resident told firefighters that they were inside boiling Easter eggs when one of the children noticed the back of the house was on fire.

According to the Coon Rapids Police report, the home is rental property and there were seven people inside at the time of the fire. All got out without injury.

Comments Closed

up arrow