Coon Rapids oven fire causes evacuation of apartment residents

An oven fire at a Coon Rapids senior living facility caused the evacuation of some residents April 8.

The fire in a second-floor unit at Select Senior Living, an assisted living and memory care facility at 11350 Martin St. N.W., shortly after 3 p.m. filled the second-floor hallway with thick black smoke, which spread to the third floor.

Coon Rapids police and fire personnel evacuated residents from both floors.

However, the oven fire in the second-floor apartment was extinguished by the activation of a sprinkler head inside the apartment, according to Fire Marshal Todd Williams.

“A single sprinkler head made the save,” Williams said.

The woman resident of the apartment and a staff member were taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation and then released.

Firefighters also treated two more people at the scene for smoke inhalation, but they declined further treatment, according to the Coon Rapids Fire Department run report.

The unintentional fire was caused when the oven was turned on and items that should not have been in the oven, including a cutting board, had not been removed, Williams said.

There was water damage to both the second-floor apartment and a day room beneath it on the first floor, he said.

The fire, smoke and water damage left that apartment uninhabitable and the day room had to be dried out before it could be used again, Williams said.

Residents were allowed back into the other apartment units once firefighters had ventilated the smoke and removed the water, he said.

The fire alarms were reset and a new sprinkler head was placed in the apartment where the fire started, according to Williams.

According to the fire department run report, the property and contents loss from the fire was estimated at $97,000.

Peter Bodley is at peter.bodley@ecm-inc.com

Comments Closed

up arrow
No Thanks