Change of time
The Minneapolis & Northern, Anoka’s new short line to Minneapolis, is doing a big business. It became necessary to add another train both ways, to the service, and four extra trains each way on Sundays.
– 100 years ago, June 18, 1913
Federal Cartridge and Farm Bureau members hold annual picnics
Over two thousand people, the largest crowd ever to attend the Federal Cartridge Corporation picnic sponsored by the Employees’ Social Club, gathered at Hall’s Riverside Park last Saturday afternoon.
Festivities began at 10 o’clock a.m. when the gayly decorated cars, floats, bicycles and bands gathered at the Federal plant for the judging previous to the parade.
As soon as the parade had passed down Main street to Ferry street and then to Champlin, the picnickers journeyed on to Hall’s Park for the day’s fun. The day was spent watching races, contests, Labe Safro’s bag punching, motorboat racing, and the kiddies enjoyed themselves on the free merry-go-round and other entertainments.
– 75 years ago, June 15, 1938
Bids received for new bridge at St. Francis
A special meeting of the Anoka County Commission was held at 9 a.m. Monday morning in the commission chambers. Three bids were received for the construction of a new bridge over the Rum river at St. Francis.
The new bridge consisting of four 30-foot welded beam spans will be located just south of the present bridge which will be demolished after the new bridge is built.
– 50 years ago, June 14, 1963
Anoka students run for health
A group of students, parents and staff from Washington School, Anoka, walked or jogged the equivalent of a trip to Disneyland and back, and then to Disneyworld and back during the school year.
– 25 years ago, June 17, 1988
• Compiled by Sue Austreng
Editor’s note: “Looking Back” is reprinted exactly as the items first appeared.