The historic schoolhouse building that has been located in East Bethel’s Booster East Park since September 2010 will be demolished.
The city of East Bethel June 5 accepted a $3,100 bid from PGM to stabilize the lead paint, demolish the building, test for asbestos and haul the materials to a landfill.
There had been no offers for the schoolhouse since the city declared it as surplus property and offered it up for sale in April.
The building was donated to the city by its previous owner, who had no use for it. The city then spent $14,000 to move the building to its current location in the park and $7,000 to pour the concrete slab it sits on.
It was later determined that the building is structurally not sound and the repairs needed so extensive that it would leave very little of the original structure intact.
East Bethel School District 37 used the building from 1857 through the 1953-54 school year. After that, the schoolhouse was used as a residence and then for farm storage.
The city’s parks commission has discussed the possibility of repurposing the concrete slab on which the building sits for shuffleboard.