Golfers are hitting the links in full force and several players are taking their chances at qualifying for state and national events. Below is a brief recap of who is doing what.
• The Twin Cities Championship wrapped up play at Hastings Country Club in June with reigning Minnesota Golf Association Player of the Year Sammy Schmitz pulling away for a final round one over par 73 to finish with a 141 for the tournament, three strokes ahead of three runner-ups. TPC-Twin Cities-based Shane Barnes settled for fifth place with rounds of 72 and 76. Aaron Hoppe, also playing out of TPC-Twin Cities, and Links at Northfork’s Nick Auman were two of six players to tie for 16th place on the 6,740-yard course.
• Alex Kline, Ramsey, fired back-to-back rounds of 69s (four under par) at Pokegama Golf Course in Grand Rapids June 23 to earn medalist honors and qualify for the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship at Laurel Hill Golf Club in Lorton, Va.
• Sam Steinwand, Andover, earned medalist honors with a 71 at Riverwood in Otsego in a Minnesota State Open qualifier June 21.
• Kevin Krigbaum, Bunker Hills Golf Course, and Jordan Hawkinson from Chisago Lakes GC shared two under par 70s to lead qualifying for the 2013 Minnesota State Open Championship at Highland National June 27. Krigbaum carded three birdies and one bogey.
• Blake Onkka, Bunker Hills, carded a four over par 75 at New Prague Golf Club June 28 to qualify for the 110th MGA Amateur.
• Greg Melhus, Links at Northfork, was eliminated from the MGA Players Championship (match play format) at Interlachen June 25 in the round of 16 by Hazeltine’s Scott Gustafson 2 and 1. Melhus, the 2010 event champion, opened with a 2 and 1 win against Matt Schneider, Pokegama. Nick Auman, Links at Northfork, scored a win against Tim Hamm of Rush Creek 3 and 1 in the round of 64 before losing 3 and 2 to Midland Hills’ Sam Matthew in the round of 32.