Entries are being sought for the Coon Rapids Arts Commission’s annual photography contest.
All amateur photographers are eligible, but the photo has to have been taken in Coon Rapids.
However, employees of the city of Coon Rapids and their families as well as arts commission members and their families are not eligible.
Photographs must be received no later than 4:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 16.
They can be submitted electronically, by mail or in person.
Digital images should be shot with the highest resolution possible with a minimum of a two megapixel camera.
Acceptable electronic forms are bmp, eps, gif, jpg, pdf and tiff and Instagram images are also accepted.
Electronic submissions should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by twitter to @coonrapidsgov.
To submit by mail or in person, the photographs should be no smaller than 3 1/2 by five inches and no larger than eight by 10 inches and be printed on photo paper.
They should be mailed to Coon Rapids City Center, attention Coon Rapids photo contest, 11155 Robinson Dr. NW, Coon Rapids, MN 55433 or dropped off at the city center.
A complete entry form available for downloading on the city’s website at www.coonrapidsmn.gov must accompany each photograph that is submitted.
“Only entry forms with complete, accurate and legible information will be considered,” said Vincent Vu, city staff liaison to the arts commission.
Guidelines for the contest include:
• Photographs can be in color or black and white.
• Photographs must be previously unpublished.
• Photographs must have been taken within the city of Coon Rapids in 2011 or later.
• Photographs from all seasons will be accepted.
• Slides, photo copies, framed/mounted/matted prints will not be accepted.
Members of the commission will judge the contest entries.
Photographs will be judged on creativity, photographic quality and how an image expresses the photographer’s desired theme.
There will be two age categories – 17 years old and under and 18 years and older.
Prizes will be given for first, second and third places in each age bracket.
Cash prizes in each category are $150 for first place, $100 for second place and $50 for third place.
The winners will also receive an award of appreciation.
Rules and regulations include:
• Limit of three entries per person per category.
• Photographs with obscene content will not be considered.
• Manipulation of digital images should be limited to the kinds of manipulation that can be done with traditional printing techniques such as changing saturation and contrast, burning in and dodging, eliminating dust spots etc.
• Images in which content has been altered – elements eliminated, added, re-arranged etc – will not be accepted.
• If photographing people, it is the responsibility of the photographer to get that person’s permission.
• No photographs/images will be returned. They become the property of the city of Coon Rapids.
• The city is not responsible for lost or misdirected entries.
• Photographers are responsible for submitting their entries in the correct age category.
• Winners in each category will have their photographs published on the city website, on CTN cable TV and in the city newsletter, the Coon Rapids Connection.
• Winning entries may be used for promotional and advertising efforts of the city.
The Coon Rapids Arts Commission, an advisory commission of the Coon Rapids City Council, promotes local cultural events and activities, including summer and winter concert series, and art shows.