Fire department answers 17 calls
Spring Lake Park, Blaine, Mounds View Fire Department activities for the week ending July 22 included 17 fire and emergency runs.
The Spring Lake Park, Blaine, Mounds View Fire Department was formed Jan. 17, 1944. Starting small, with two trucks and 15 men it continued to grow, keeping pace with the growing needs of the community. The fire department now has a compliment of 66 men, three stations and nine fire fighting vehicles, including four pumping engines, with another on order, two ladder companies, a combination tanker and hose truck and two grass fire fighting jeeps.
– 40 years ago, Aug. 3, 1973
Three cities seek DWI grant
Coon Rapids is joining with Blaine and Fridley in an attempt to get more drunk drivers off the roads in the three cities.
A joint application is being made for state grant money to beef up enforcement of driving while under the influence of alcohol (DWI) laws.
– 30 years ago, Aug. 5, 1983
Lions’ donation to college purchases new incubator
The Spring Lake Park Lions are making it easier for students at Anoka-Ramsey Community College to succeed in biology classes.
The group recently donated $5,000 to Anoka-Ramsey Community College Foundation to purchase a larger incubator for the biology department. The current department incubator is too small to accommodate the increased volume of culture tubes and petri dishes the students use for their experiments.
The biology department has experienced an increase in enrollment of more than 200 students a year for the past three years.
– 20 years ago, Aug. 6, 1993
• Compiled by Sue Austreng
Editor’s note: “Looking Back” is reprinted exactly as the items first appeared.