Fire leaves Coon Rapids townhome uninhabitable

Fire left a Coon Rapids townhome uninhabitable early this morning (Friday, Aug. 2).

Coon Rapids firefighters, responding to a call of a fire at 10606 Hummingbird St. NW. at 6:20 a.m., found smoke coming from the window and a fire on the upper level in the living room area.

According to Todd Williams, Coon Rapids fire marshal, a 64-year-old man and 52-year-old woman who were in the home at the time of the fire went to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

The man got out of bed to go to the kitchen and noticed smoke; about the same time the smoke alarm activated, Williams said.

There was heat and smoke damage to the second floor of the split-level townhome and some smoke damage to the lower level plus some water damage to the ceiling of the garage, which was below the area where the fire began, he said.

But there was no structural damage to the townhouse unit, nor did the fire spread to the other units in the four-unit complex, Williams.

According to Williams, the fire was started by a discarded cigarette which ended up in a chair.

 

 

Peter Bodley is at
peter.bodley@ecm-inc.com

 

Comments Closed

up arrow