Candle caused Coon Rapids home fire

A candle was the cause of a fire that damaged a Coon Rapids home the morning of Aug. 8.

Damage caused by fire at a residence at 8399 Palm Street the morning of Aug.  8. Photo: Coon Rapids Fire Department

Damage caused by fire at a residence at 8399 Palm Street the morning of Aug. 8. Photo: Coon Rapids Fire Department

The Coon Rapids Fire Department responded to call received at 6:47 a.m. from the William Slack home at 8399 Palm Street NW.

The six residents – Slack, his wife and their four children – were able to evacuate the home without injury.

According to Capt. Aaron Johnston in the fire department run report, moderate smoke was seen coming from the upper, middle and lower levels of the home on arrival.

The fire was located in the lower level of the home and was put out by firefighters, Johnston wrote in his report.

According to Fire Marshal Todd Williams, Slack had got up around 6 a.m. and lighted two candles on a piano in the lower level.

A little while later he noticed smoke coming from the lower level, awakened his children and got them out of the house safely, Williams said.

One of the candles that had been lit was located too close to some clothes on a shelf and set them on fire, he said.

The fire broke a water pipe in the lower level and that had the effect of mitigating the fire so that there was not much left to extinguish when firefighters arrived, Williams said.

But there was fire damage to the floor joists between the lower level and the kitchen above, where flames were found and put out, he said.

In addition to the fire damage to the floor joists, the fire department shut off the power, water and gas to the home, which made the residence uninhabitable, Williams said.

According to Williams, the Slacks went to stay with family members.

The fire department run report estimates property and contents loss to be $70,000.

Peter Bodley is at peter.bodley@ecm-inc.com

Comments Closed

up arrow