Coon Rapids home uninhabitable following fire

A home on Crooked Lake, Coon Rapids, was left uninhabitable following a Monday evening fire.

Resident John Dunphy, 77, 12954 Crooked Lake Lane, called 911 shortly after 6:35 p.m. Aug. 19 stating the basement of his home was on fire.

The first arriving police officer found Dunphy standing outside spraying water from a garden hose at flames which were coming from a basement window, according to the Coon Rapids Police report.

Dunphy told police that he heard a noise in the basement – that was the smoke detector – and smelled smoke, and when he went downstairs, he saw fire coming from a fan.

He went upstairs to get some water and when he returned to the basement again there was thick smoke, prompting him to leave the home, the police report states.

According to the Coon Rapids Fire Department run report, firefighters arrived to find flames coming from the walk-out basement.

Mutual aid was called in for the Andover Fire Department to assist and the fire was knocked down from the exterior, the run report states.

The fire started in an oscillating, plug-in floor fan which malfunctioned, according to Fire Marshal Todd Williams.

There was fire damage in the basement where the fire started and heavy smoke damage throughout the house, Williams said.

The house, which had one level above ground and a basement, dates from the 1950s, he said.

Dunphy was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but declined to go to the hospital.

He went to stay with his brother who lives in south Minneapolis, Williams said.

Peter Bodley is at peter.bodley@ecm-inc.com

Comments Closed

up arrow