Fire caused by ceiling fan spreads to attic

A malfunctioning ceiling fan in the bathroom of a Coon Rapids residence caused a fire the early afternoon of Sept. 27.

Coon Rapids police and fire departments responded to a fire at 2160 110th Lane N.W. shortly after 1:30 p.m., after homeowners Vong Vue, 26, saw smoke coming from the eaves while he was outside.

According to Coon Rapids Fire Marshal Todd Williams, the fire damaged rafters and trusses in the attic above the bathroom.

Firefighters had to pull the ceiling in both the bathroom and the adjacent bedroom to not only put out the fire in the attic, but to check for any spread of the blaze; there was none, Williams said.

But although there was no smoke damage in the house, the removal of the ceilings made the home uninhabitable, he said.

The damage was in the $20,000 to $30,000 range, Williams said.

According to Williams, the fan was not working, but the switch had been inadvertently left on for a couple of days and was responsible for fire starting.

Peter Bodley is at
peter.bodley@ecm-inc.com

 
up arrow