Malfunctioning dryer causes fire in Coon Rapids

A malfunctioning dryer was the cause of a fire at a Coon Rapids townhouse the early evening of Oct. 3.

Firefighters responded to the home of Barbara Hunnicutt, 55, 1500 block of 121st Avenue NW at 5:22 p.m.

On arrival, they found smoke coming from the two-story townhouse and a working fire, so a general alarm was struck.

The fire was quickly knocked down in the basement laundry room, but the sheetrock on a wall from the basement to the roof had to be pulled out to tackle flames and prevent the fire from spreading to the roof.

Hunnicutt escaped unhurt from the fire and her cat was fine after being treated for smoke inhalation by firefighters, the fire department run report states.

Damage to property and contents was estimated at $30,000.

Because of the fire and smoke damage, the townhome was determined to be uninhabitable and the Red Cross was called in to provide assistance, according to Assistant Fire Chief Bret Gageby.

The adjoining townhomes were evacuated while firefighters were dealing with the fire, but residents were later allowed back in their homes, Gageby said.

–Peter Bodley is at
peter.bodley@ecm-inc.com

up arrow