Coon Rapids man pleads guilty to felony hit-and-run charge

A Coon Rapids man has pleaded guilty in Anoka County District Court to a felony charge in connection with a hit-and-run incident the evening of June 13, 2012 that severely injured a nine-year-old boy.

Nathan Wade Boese, 33, entered a guilty plea Monday to a leaving the scene of a personal injury accident resulting a great bodily harm charge and will be sentenced Dec. 20.

Earlier this year, Anoka County District Court Judge Sharon Hall dismissed a second felony charge that had been filed against Boese – criminal vehicular operation resulting in great bodily harm – for lack of probable cause.

Defense attorney Steven Meshbesher had filed motions with the court to have evidence suppressed and to dismiss both charges for lack of probable cause.

But Hall, who let the other charge stand, denied defense motions to suppress any and all physical evidence discovered as a result of searches and or seizures.

Amir Taylor, Minneapolis, was visiting relatives in Coon Rapids when he was struck by a truck at the intersection of 111th Avenue and Kumquat Street NW while riding a bike to a park about 7 p.m. June 13, 2013, leaving him severely injured.

The boy was riding the bike in a westerly direction when he was struck by the truck which was being driven south on Kumquat. The crash was heard and observed by neighbors, who described the truck and the driver that struck the boy, according to the complaint.

In dismissing the criminal vehicular operation charge for lack of probable cause, Hall ruled there was no evidence to show that Boese’s conduct was anything out of the ordinary or contrary to law because he had right of way at the intersection, while witnesses stated that the boy was riding the bike at a high rate of speed, that he failed to look in the direction the truck was coming and he collided with the truck, rather than the other way round.

Following the collision, witnesses told police the truck continued south and stopped a block away, but as witnesses began yelling, the driver accelerated away and did not return to the scene, according to the complaint.

Authorities issued a description of the truck given by witnesses, a black, mid-’90s Chevy Z-71 pickup, the damage that was done – driver’s side door and side mirror – as well as a photo of a similar truck to the media and the morning of June 15, 2012 Coon Rapids Police got a call from an auto body repair shop in Minneapolis.

When the shop opened for business the morning of June 14, 2012 it got a call from a man, identified as Boese, who said he needed work done right away and would pay cash.

Later that morning, Boese arrived in his truck, a 1996 black Chevy Z-71 pickup truck, and said he needed the driver’s side mirror replaced as it had broken off and the windshield repaired, as well as dents in the driver’s door.

When police saw the truck, it looked as though the Z-71 stickers had recently been removed and some kind of compound was present.

Boese’s general physical description matched that given by witnesses, but when police contacted Boese he said he was not involved in any type of crash with a child or bike.

He told police that the damage had been caused by an act of vandalism weeks before in Minneapolis, but he had not filed a police report and the stickers had been removed years before by his father.

According to the complaint, police learned that about 30 minutes after the crash, Boese was at his girlfriend’s work place in Minneapolis in the same black truck and video surveillance showed the truck being moved, then he and his girlfriend left in her car.

Video also showed the clothing Boese was wearing, including an orange-red shirt with a number 10 on the back and a baseball-style hat, as well as what appeared to be damage to the truck and Boese wiping or rubbing the area where the impact with the boy had occurred.

During a search of Boese’s Coon Rapids home, clothing matching that seen on the video the night of the crash was found in a laundry basket, as well as a hat similar to what he was wearing in the video.

The truck was tested for blood and a presumptive test from the driver’s side door area came back positive for the presence of blood.

Court records show that Boese was convicted of felony second-degree burglary in 2002 and placed on probation for 10 years at sentencing in January 2003.

Later in 2003, Boese was charged with a felony first-degree controlled substance crime and a warrant was issued for his arrest. Boese was not arrested until 2009 and in April 2010 he pleaded guilty and was placed on probation for 20 years.

Peter Bodley is at
[email protected]


Comments Closed