Fire destroys Coon Rapids mobile home

Fire destroyed a Coon Rapids mobile home in Creekside Mobile Home Park Monday night.

A stove fire Monday night left a Coon Rapids mobile home a total loss. Photo courtesy of the Coon Rapids Fire Department

A stove fire Monday night left a Coon Rapids mobile home a total loss. Photo courtesy of the Coon Rapids Fire Department

But the four occupants, an adult male and female, plus two children, ages five and one and a half, escaped unharmed.

The Coon Rapids Fire Department responded to the residence at 1111 104th Ave. NW about 10:30 p.m. Nov. 25 on a report of a stove fire and flames visible, arriving to find heavy smoke coming from the home.

The mobile home was a total loss and almost all the contents were destroyed, according to Fire Inspector Nick House.

The woman was cooking french fries in grease in a pan on the stove when she left to attend to the two children, House said.

When she returned within five minutes, the entire stove was on fire and she got the children out of the home, he said.

People should never leave the stove unattended when cooking, House said.

There is also the option of installing a fire stop above the stove, he said.

It comes in the form of a canister which can be attached to the fan, and will activate with an extinguishing agent if a fire starts on the stove, House said. The fire stop can be purchased at local hardware stores, he said.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family by providing immediate “recovery needs including food, clothing and shelter,” according to Erika Emerick, Red Cross spokesperson.

Peter Bodley is at peter.bodley@ecm-inc.com

Comments Closed

up arrow