Guilty plea in Spring Lake Park armed robbery

A man accused in the June 18 armed robbery of a Spring Lake Park business pleaded guilty in Anoka County District Court Oct. 31 to a felony charge and was sent to prison.

David Charles Larson, 45, Eagan, entered a guilty plea to a felony second-degree aggravated robbery charge.

He has a long history of aggravated robbery convictions dating back to 1992, all in Hennepin County, according to court records.

The court sentenced Larson to 60 months in prison with credit for the 131 days he served in jail since his arrest.

In late August, a Rule 20 evaluation ordered by the court of July found Larson competent to stand trial on the charge.

The early afternoon of June 18, Spring Lake Park Police responded to a robbery report from Once Upon A Child, 8151 University Ave. NE., where a white male threatened to stab an employee with a knife unless she handed over money.

Once she opened the cash register, the suspect went around the counter and took $300 to $400 in cash from the register before fleeing, according to the complaint.

A witness buying and selling clothes at the store, who heard the robber tell the employee that he had a knife and wanted the money, then add, “I mean it,” followed the suspect out of the store, saw him get into a red pickup truck and yelled for someone to get the license plate number, which was done.

The witness also provided police with a description of the robber and video surveillance inside the store also showed the incident and the suspect.

Det. Joe Antoine, Spring Lake Park Police, contacted police in the city where the truck was registered and received information that the suspect could be Larson. Then when he sent out a tri-county alert, a Blaine Police detective also identified the suspect as Larson, the complaint states.

When Antoine compared a Minnesota Department of Motor Vehicle photo of Larson with the surveillance video of the robber, it was the same man.

In a post-Miranda statement following his arrest, Larson admitted committing the robbery.

Court records show that in 1992, Larson was sent to prison for concurrent 48- month terms on separate first-degree aggravated robbery and first-degree arson charges.

In 1997, Larson was convicted of two counts of first-degree aggravated robbery in one case and five counts of first-degree aggravated robbery in another case and was sentenced to concurrent prison terms ranging from 54 to 108 months.

Then in 2007 Larson was sent to prison for another 108 months on another first-degree aggravated robbery conviction.

Peter Bodley is at [email protected]

Comments Closed