Anoka to move ahead on 2014 street reconstruction project

Anoka will move ahead with its street renewal program planned for 2014.

The Anoka City Council accepted the feasibility report for the construction planned for the upcoming summer, which will include 10th Avenue from Jefferson Street to East Main Street, as well as Cross Street and Madison Street from Ninth Avenue to the eastern city limits.

The project will include a total reconstruction of the streets, including the replacement of the concrete curb and gutters and road surface. Sanitary swear will be replaced with new eight-inch PVC main and watermain will also be replaced.

According to Public Services Director Greg Lee, the project is expected to cost $1.73 million.

The city will pay for 77.5 percent of the project, while assessments to benefiting properties will cover the remaining 22.5 percent.

The assessment rate for 2014 is a $2,750 residential street assessment and a $14 per lineal foot assessment, according to Lee.

Assessments for three or more unit residential buildings along with commercial and industrial properties will be double these amounts, although there are no commercial or business properties in the 2014 project area.

Each property owner will be assessed for new water and sanitary swear service at a cost of $1,900.

The street renewal will cost a property owner $5,770 for a lot 80 feet wide and can be levied over 10 years.

A public hearing as well as an assessment hearing will likely be held Jan. 21, 2014.

Councilmember Mark Freeburg raised concerns about the quality of the 2013 street renewal project in the same neighborhood, saying it took twice as long as it should have.

Lee said three times the city rejected the type of topsoil brought in for the project by the contractor, Kuechle Underground, delaying the project.

There are still issues with the reconstruction that will be fixed in the spring, he said.

“They recognize it wasn’t a quality job and there will be corrections made,” Lee said.

Lee didn’t recommend precluding the contractor from bidding on the 2014 project, despite problems in the most recent street renewal project.

“This contractor has worked in our city for several years and has done a number of our street renewal projects and has done a fabulous job on it,” Lee said. “This one there were some issues with it that could be eliminated or avoided in the future.”

In addition to the 2013 project, Kuechle Underground also headed up street renewal projects for Anoka in 2008, 2009 and 2010.

A neighborhood meeting for the 2014 project is planned for Dec. 19 at Green Haven Golf Club.

Mandy Moran Froemming is at editor.anokaunion@ecm-inc.com

up arrow