Malfunctioning dryer causes fire in home

A malfunctioning dryer started a laundry room fire at a Coon Rapids residence Sunday morning.

Firefighters responded to the 911 call at the home of Christian Ndikum, 650 121st Ave. NW, shortly after 11 a.m. Feb. 2.

According to Fire Marshal Todd Williams, Ndikum’s wife went downstairs to the laundry room to check on clothes that had been put in the dryer the day before.

They were still wet so the wife turned on the dryer and within minutes, it had started on fire, Williams said.

Ndikum used a fire extinguisher in the home to try and put out the fire, but it grew too big, so he called 911 and evacuated the family, none of whom were hurt, he said.

The dryer was totaled and there was fire damage in the basement laundry room, with smoke damage throughout the house, prompting the family, which included two young children, to leave, according to Williams.

Damage to the property and contents was estimated at $29,000 in the fire department run report.

Peter Bodley is at peter.bodley@ecm-inc.com

Comments Closed

up arrow