Occupants safely escape house fire

A fire on a gas stove did extensive damage to the kitchen of a home in Coon Rapids last week.

The homeowner reported the fire started while cleaning the oven of the gas stove. Photo courtesy of Coon Rapids Fire Department

The homeowner reported the fire started while cleaning the oven of the gas stove. Photo courtesy of Coon Rapids Fire Department

The Coon Rapids Fire Department was called to the fire at 842 123rd Lane just before 8 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 26.

Occupants of the home were able to escape safely, although the male homeowner was taken to hospital after complaining of difficulties breathing due to possible smoke inhalation and a history of COPD.

When crews arrived, there was light smoke coming from an open window and once inside they discovered heavy fire in the upstairs kitchen area of the split level home, according to a report from the Coon Rapids Fire Department.

The fire was quickly knocked down before it had a chance to spread to the attic of a home.

The female homeowner told firefighters that the fire had started on the gas stove while cleaning the oven, according to the department.

Comments Closed

up arrow