St. Cloud State senior golfer Devin Holmes (Anoka) earned Northern Sun Collegiate Conference Golfer of the Week after tying for 11th place (75-71-74 – 220) at the Washburn/Topeka Capitol Plaza Hotel Invitational played at the Topeka Country Club March 17-18. The Huskies placed seventh among 15 teams in the season-opener.
• Bemidji State freshman Ryan Rumpca (Anoka) gave up six runs on seven hits with one walk and one strikeout in 2.1 innings of work in an 18-9 loss to St. Cloud State in Tuscon, Arizona, March 11. It was his collegiate pitching debut. At the plate he is 2-for-7 with one RBI in four games (two starts at second base).
• St. Catherine’s senior outfielder Alyssa Luedtke (Spring Lake Park) is 4-for-9 at the plate with two RBI, one walk and two stolen bases in three games this spring. Junior Kaitlyn Luedtke (Spring Lake Park) is 2-for-8 with two RBI in three starts.
• North Dakota swimmer Dan Jacobson looked forward to his final collegiate season with a lot of optimism, especially since he was chosen to serve as a captain.
Jacobson, the son of Anoka swim coach John Jacobson, placed 14th in the 200 fly at the Western Athletic Conference Championships March 1 in San Antonio, Texas.
He also swam the third leg on the fifth-place team in the 400 free relay and anchored the 800 free relay team to a sixth place finish.
• Buffalo University junior swimmer Spencer Rodriguez (Blaine) added her name to the program record books during the Mid-America Conference championships in Geneva, Ohio.
Rodriguez won the 400-yard individual medley in 4:17.24, shattering her previous best time of 4:31.03. She also swam the first leg of the winning 800 free relay team and was second in the 200 individual medley in a personal best 2:00.64. Rodriguez placed third in the 1,650 free with another personal best time of 16:36.75, lowering her previous best from 17:27.34.
Rodriguez swam the opening leg of the winning 400 free relay to conclude the three-day event and was one of two Buffalo swimmers to garner All-MAC First Team honors.
• Minnesota State University Mankato 6-foot-8 junior forward Zach Romashko (Blaine) finished the season averaging 7.3 points and 2.9 rebounds in 17.8 minutes in 35 games for the Mavericks (30-5) this season. Ninth-ranked Mankato ended its season with a 71-66 loss to Northwest Missouri State in the second round of the NCAA Division II Central Region Tournament March 16. Romashko started three games in a span of 12 games in November and had a double-double (20 points and 14 rebounds) in a 117-56 win over Clarke, Nov. 19. Six days later he had a season-high 26 points in a 95-71 win against Dakota State.