Nowthen man has prison time stayed in sex assault conviction

A 23-year-old Nowthen man, who pleaded guilty in Anoka County District Court to one of three felony charges for sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl in Oak Grove in August 2013, won’t go to prison.

Kelly Eugene Jenkins, who entered a guilty plea Dec. 17, 2013, to a first-degree criminal sexual conduct count, had a 144-month prison term stayed at his sentencing hearing Feb. 26 when another first-degree criminal sexual conduct charge as well as one count of third-degree criminal sexual conduct were dismissed.

Instead, Jenkins was placed on probation for 30 years and was jailed for a year with credit for the 195 days he has served since his arrest.

Probation conditions include no contact with the victim direct or indirect, psychiatric evaluation and treatment, chemical dependency evaluation and treatment, sex offender treatment, predatory offender registration, random urinalysis and breath testing on demand at his own expense, no use of mood-altering chemicals or alcohol, submit to polygraph examinations as directed and take medications in the prescribed dosage and frequency.

The girl contacted the Anoka County Sheriff’s Office the morning of Aug. 14, 2013, to report being sexually assaulted several times that morning after she had spent time during the previous day with a male she had recently met who she identified as Jenkins, according to the complaint.

The early hours of Aug. 14, Jenkins left the girl at a residence in Zimmerman, then called her an hour later, about 5 a.m., and asked her if she needed a ride home to Oak Grove, the complaint states.

The girl told investigators that Jenkins drove around a lot yelling at her, then told her to get out of his vehicle and she attempted to stop cars to get a ride home.

According to the complaint, dispatch records show that a female called police at about 7:37 a.m. asking for a welfare check on a teenage girl in the area of 229th and University avenues in Oak Grove.

Jenkins let the girl back in the truck and she thought he was taking her home, but she said that Jenkins drove in a very reckless manner and pulled over in a cul-de-sac near 206th Avenue.

The complaint states that when the girl got out of the truck, Jenkins grabbed her, threw her to the ground, dragged her into a school bus shelter at the end of a driveway, demanded they talk, slapped her, then when she began to cry and asked him to take her home, he told her that he would only do so if she had sex with him.

She said no and the complaint states that he pulled down her clothes and sexually assaulted her, then when the girl tried to yell for help and resist, he covered her mouth with his hand, grabbed her by her hair and threatened to snap her neck before sexually assaulting her again.

According to the complaint, Jenkins brought the girl back into his truck where he sexually assaulted her more than once despite her protests before driving her toward her home and leaving her on the side of the road.

The girl made a mental note of the license plate of the truck that Jenkins was driving, then wrote it down when she got home and provided it to police, who located Jenkins in the truck Aug. 15, 2013, and took him into custody.

Comments Closed