The Coon Rapids Police Department will be one of many locations where people can drop-off prescription medication that is no longer needed.
The National Take-Back Initiative organized by the United States Drug Enforcement Administration is 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, April 26 at all drop-off sites. Coon Rapids Police Department is located at Coon Rapids City Hall, 11155 Robinson Drive NW.
If you are unable to stop by the Coon Rapids Police Department at that time, there are six other locations that accepts this unwanted prescription medication on weekdays throughout the year. Coon Rapids is not one of these locations.
More than seven million Americans currently abuse prescription drugs, according to a national survey conducted by the Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Administration. This abuse sometimes leads to addictions on other drugs such as heroin, the public was informed during recent heroin awareness forums in Anoka County.
For more information on the DEA’s national program, visit www.dea.gov or call 800-882-9539.
Drop-off locations and hours
Blaine Police Chief Chris Olson said besides these regular business hours, Blaine does offer the option for after-hours drop-off any day of the week. Citizens can visit Blaine Police Department’s after-hours lobby at Blaine City Hall and ask for an officer to escort them inside the front entry so that the individual can put the medication in the drop box.
These are the other six locations you can always visit to drop-off prescription medication during regular business hours on weekdays:
• Anoka County Sheriff’s Office: 13301 Hanson Blvd. NW (Andover), 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 763-323-5000
• Blaine Police Department, 10801 Town Square Drive NE, 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 763-785-6168
• Centennial Lakes Police Department, 54 North Road (Circle Pines), 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 763-784-2501
• Columbia Heights Police Department, 825 41st Ave. NE, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 763-706-8100
• Fridley Police Department, 6431 University Ave. NE, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 763-572-3629
• St. Francis Police Department, 4058 St. Francis Blvd. NW, 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 763-753-1264.
Eric Hagen is at email@example.com