• UW-Stevens Point senior pitcher Travis Elwood (Anoka) was named WIAC Athlete of the Week for pitchers after a pair of appearances to help the Yellowjackets go 3-1 and 12-7 overall this spring. He pitched one inning, giving up one run on one hit in an 8-6 loss to UW-Stout April 23. He followed that with an eight-inning performance Sunday in an 8-3 win over the Pointers. He gave up three runs on six hits. For the season he is 3-1 with a 2.32 earned run average with 33 strikeouts and eight walks in 31 innings of work.
• University of Northwestern freshman Ryan Sutterer garnered Upper Midwest Athletic Conference Baseball Player of the Week after batting .579 with a .636 on-base percentage and 1.000 slugging rate in five games to help the Eagles to a 4-1 record. He hit a pair of doubles, home runs and drove in eight runs. To day, he is hitting .370 with a team-best 14 RBIs and 20 hits as of April 27.
• Concordia-St. Paul sophomore golfer Rachel Gray (Legacy) carded a four-round total score of 334 strokes to lead the Golden Bears with a seventh place finish at the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Championships played at Madden’s and Dacotah Ridge Golf Course Oct. 3-4 and April 26-27. Concordia placed second in the team rankings, 33 strokes behind five-time defending champion Augustana.
• Beloit College freshman attack Libby Storrick (Coon Rapids) finished the season tied for the team points lead with 80. Her 50 goals is second on the team and 30 assists led the Buccaneers (10-7). She was named Midwest Women’s Lacrosse Conference Defensive Player of the Week for the second time this season in late March. She helped the Buccaneer’s to a 3-1 week in league play with eight caused turnovers, 10 ground balls and seven draw controls for the week. She was ranked 30th in caused turnovers and 40th in ground balls in NCAA Division III in early March.
• Minnesota Duluth freshman Sam Rivard (St. Francis) set the program record in the 5,000-meter run to place fifth behind four NCAA Division I runners at the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa, April 24. Rivard’s time of 16:29.73 is nine seconds quicker than the previous record set three years before in the same meet. Her time is the fastest run this year at the NCAA Division II level. Northern Sun Conference championships are May 9-10 at Winona State with nationals May 22-24 at Allendale, Mich.
• Luther College sophomore Kurt Hellmann (Andover) led the Norse distance medley team place ninth among 15 teams at the Drake Relays in 10:11.13, April 25.
Submit items for the college notes to firstname.lastname@example.org