The East Bethel City Council April 16 approved a gambling-premise permit for the Ham Lake Area Chamber of Commerce to use paper pull tabs, bar bingo and paddlewheel games during events it holds at the Moonshine Whiskey Bar and Grill, 21383 Ulysses St. NE.
The permit application says the chamber works to promote the welfare and prosperity of local communities including the promotion of economic, civic, commercial, cultural, industrial and educational interests of both citizens and businesses. The Ham Lake Chamber’s reach includes a population of about 45,000 residents, with many events and meetings held in East Bethel. According to the chamber’s application, adding the site will increase opportunities in the city.
The council members reviewed good news in the assessor’s and auditor’s reports before the Council took several actions.
• Approved the East Bethel Emergency Operations Plan after concentrating on it during several 2013 work sessions to outline the actions necessary during emergency situations including, but not limited to, tornado, winter storms, utility failure, high winds, flooding, hazardous and radiological material accidents, mass-casualty transportation accidents, civil disorder and terrorism.
• Agreed to stick with the vehcile replacement schedule and trade in a 2002 Ford F-550 truck used for plowing and buy a 2015 Ford F-450 with dump box and snow plow for $52,659, with a budgeted amount of $49,000; the truck’s “estimated useful life” is 12 years.
• Approved the purchase of a new light-duty grass-fire truck to replace a 1989 model; the Ford F-350 will cost $64,000, with $65,000 budgeted for the replacement.
• Accepted the city’s 2014 Water Supply Plan, which contains information about volumes, treatment, demand, and emergency preparedness and is required by the state from any city pumping more than 1 million gallons of water annually.
• Authorized the city to apply for a safety grant that would pay half the $10,000 cost of a hydraulic tailgate lift and hot-patch truck insert that would prevent hot-asphalt burns.