Two suspects found in vacant building sentenced

Two suspects who were arrested last summer after being found in a vacant building in Ramsey, where multiple thefts of copper had taken place, have been sentenced in Anoka County District Court.

Vincent John Myslajek, 29, Andover, and Angela Marie Estrem, 36, St. Francis, were both charged with two felonies: second-degree burglary and possession of burglary and theft tools.

Myslajek, who entered a guilty plea May 19 to the second-degree burglary count, had a 21-month prison term stayed at sentencing June 30 and was placed on probation for 10 years. He was jailed for 120 days with credit for seven days served.

Probation conditions include a chemical dependency evaluation, random urinalysis and breath testing on demand at his own expense, no use of mood-altering chemicals, prescription drugs or alcohol, and no use or possession of firearms.

According to court records, Myslajek was convicted of felony possession and theft tools in 2011 in Hennepin County District Court and was put on probation for five years in 2012 in Washington County District Court for a felony fifth-degree controlled substance crime. He also has several misdemeanor theft convictions.

In a plea agreement May 19, Estrem entered a guilty plea to a misdemeanor trespassing charge and at sentencing July 1, she was placed on probation for a year, given credit for five days spent in jail and another 85 days was stayed. An $800 fine was also stayed.

The early morning hours of June 30, 2013, Ramsey Police responded to an alarm at a vacant building on the 6000 block of 167th Avenue Northwest, where they had set up an alarm system three days earlier following many recent thefts of copper from the building, according to the complaint.

Inside the building, police discovered Myslajek and Estrem in a corner with numerous tools commonly used for committing burglaries.

Copper piping was found near them and another piece of copper piping had been pulled from the wall.

According to the complaint, none of the copper piping had been moved when police installed the alarm system June 27, 2013.

Comments Closed