Ramsey man gets probation on fleeing police, DWI pleas

A Ramsey man, who fled police in his vehicle while driving drunk, was placed on probation by Anoka County District Court July 15 after pleading guilty to two charges, one of them a felony.

Aaron Russell Lewis, 40, had entered guilty pleas June 2 to felony fleeing police in a motor vehicle and gross misdemeanor DWI charges.

Lewis was given three years of probation, two on the felony count and one on the gross misdemeanor charge, to be served consecutively, according to court records.

On the felony plea, Lewis was jailed for 15 days with credit for four days served, but another 350 days was stayed by the court for two years as was $2,700 of a $3,000 fine. On the gross misdemeanor charge, one year in jail and a $100 fine were stayed.

Probation conditions included attending a Mothers Against Drunk Driving impact panel and no alcohol- and drug-related offenses.

Shortly after 1 a.m. Oct. 5, 2013, an Anoka Police officer on patrol with the Anoka County DWI task force in a marked squad car on Highway 10 received a report of a full-sized SUV being driven in the ditch of westbound Highway 10 near Foley Boulevard in Coon Rapids.

Watching westbound traffic on Highway 10, the officer spotted a SUV with a license plate that included the same letters, although not in the same order, and the same numbers that he had been given traveling west on the freeway under the Hanson Boulevard interchange, then increasing speed as it passed the officer and straddling the lane lines, according to the complaint.

The officer activated the emergency lights and siren on his squad car, but the SUV did not stop, instead weaving across westbound lanes at speeds ranging from 40 to 65 mph before nearly leaving the roadway near the Seventh Avenue exit in Anoka and almost striking the guardrail under the Fourth Avenue bridge.

The SUV exited Highway 10 at Ferry Street in Anoka, where police officers blocked the top of the ramp with their squads to stop the vehicle.

The eyes of the driver, Lewis, were bloodshot and watery, he was having difficulty maintaining his balance, was unable to perform two of the field sobriety tests, and after being read the state implied consent advisory, he registered a 0.20 blood-alcohol content on the breath test, according to the complaint.

Comments Closed