Andover council approves bid for street reconstruction

Hagen-Eric-140x140
Staff Writer
I cover the cities of Andover, Blaine and Ramsey. I have worked at ABC Newspapers since August 2007.

The city of Andover is proceeding with a large road project on multiple streets in the Lund’s Evergreen Estates neighborhood.

The Andover City Council April 4 approved a bid of more than $1.43 million to reconstruct several between Round Lake Boulevard and Verdin Street in the Lund’s Evergreen Estates neighborhood.Courtesy of city of Andover
The Andover City Council April 4 approved a bid of more than $1.43 million to reconstruct several between Round Lake Boulevard and Verdin Street in the Lund’s Evergreen Estates neighborhood. Courtesy of city of Andover

The residents of 74 properties affected by this project would have already received notice from the city late last year. A public hearing was held at the Jan. 17 council meeting. In general, the affected streets are south of Rum River Elementary between Round Lake Boulevard and Verdin Street.

North Valley, Inc., of Elk River, was the low bidder at an amount of $1,436,295. The city estimate was approximately $1.68 million.

“It is one the largest street reconstruction projects we’ve had since I’ve been here over 20 years,” said City Engineer and Public Works Director David Berkowitz.

The city is covering about 75 percent of the costs while property assessments are paying the remaining 25 percent.

While Andover has had this standard street assessment policy since 2006, this year’s project had extra layers of complexities that the council needed to address prior to this project moving to this bidding phase.

Rather than assessing the same rate for all 74 properties, city staff identified three different assessment rates because of differences in streets and storm drainage systems.

In January, about 65 percent of the property owners were told the assessment could be more than $7,700. Most of these particular residents are along streets where the city wants to replace the bituminous curbs with concrete curbs because it’s a stronger material but it does cost a lot more. Within this group are 13 properties along 168th Lane that have damaged concrete curb that needs to be repaired.

Then there’s another group of 26 homes along streets with ditches serving as the storm drainage system as opposed to concrete curbs directing the water to a gutter. Because the city considers this a viable system, there will be no curb and gutter. The estimated assessment for these residents was $4,140.

An assessment hearing will happen this fall after the final costs are known.

[email protected]